Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Everett - Two Months

Everett, you turned two months old today!  How is this even possible?!?  At your two month checkup you were 23 inches long and weighed 14.3 pounds - yikes!!  I can explain...

In some ways, I think your second month was harder for me than your first.  When we first brought you home from the hospital, I was shell-shocked, exhausted, and completely terrified.  Luckily, you were just a snuggly little beanbag who slept most of the day away, so I managed to survive.

During your second month you've become more of a little person, and I've found myself not knowing what to do with you!  I was craving routine, but it seemed like you weren't ready for it.  As I mentioned, you were a great sleeper during your first month - from about 3 weeks on you were able to sleep through the night needing only one feeding around 4am (new moms, don't hate on me).  You also napped really well during the day.  Luckily, you continued to be a great nightime sleeper during your second month, but the naps started to disappear!  At around five weeks, you would wake up around 40 minutes into your nap and couldn't soothe yourself back to sleep.  I tried to help calm you down, but to no avail. The after about 2 weeks of that routine, the naps completely disappeared!  It seemed like every time I put you down for a nap you would cry your little head off until I finally came and rescued you!  I spent most of this month reading every baby book I could get my hands on and second guessing my every move - cry it out?  Don't cry it out?  Swaddle? Don't swaddle?  Study the cries and learn what each one means?  Good luck with that one...

As for your major weight gain, I've been making the rookie mom mistake of assuming that every time you cry, you're hungry.  Oops!  Luckily, I have some good mommy friends (shout out to Shannon and Jamie) who helped me learn the error of my ways.  Just at the end of your second month, I'm making another attempt to get you on a schedule - we'll see how it goes....fingers and toes are crossed!

The last thing I want to do is make it sound like this month was nothing but trouble, but as all moms know, we all make mistakes and everyday we're faced with new lessons to be learned.  Don't worry, little one, this post is all about the mistakes I've made and the lessons I've learned.  I've still loved every moment with you and I'd relive this second month in a heartbeat if I could.   Now let's talk about the fun things that happened this month.
  • You continue to love to eat-you've never met a bottle you didn't like!  I had been supplementing with formula and my supply was starting to dwindle, so at about 2 months I decided to stop pumping and make the change to only formula.
  • We took the body insert out of your carseat - you're becoming such a big boy!
  • At around 7 weeks we started getting some real smiles.  As any parent knows, there is no way to describe the feeling you get when those smiles start popping up - pure bliss :-).
  • You're getting much better at tummy time - starting to hold that head up more each day!
  • You are SO strong.  I don't know if all babies are this strong, but everyone comments on it!  
  • You LOVE to stand up - your legs are so strong that I only need to hold your finders to keep you steady - you do the rest!
  • We go out to dinner all the time and you always handle it like a pro!  Everyone says this will end when you're mobile - I guess Daddy will have to take us out even more until that happens:-).
Everett, you are such a gift to me and daddy.  We love you so very much and thank our luck stars for you each and every day!

No comments:

Post a Comment